Summer won’t be bringing potato salad, because she knows at least three other people will. Frankly she prefers to show off a bit more, as she did this weekend at Magic Pony Mountain (um…cough, Mount Rogers National Recreation Area). In no particular order, here’s what summer really plans to bring.
- A cool, gushing chute of water in a fern-filled glade. Summer can be a dirty, dirty girl, but she cleans up quite nicely.
- A cozy campsite framed by blooms of mountain laurel. (Pro tip: Summer won’t actually bring a flask of bourbon that tastes like butterscotch on fire, but it is strongly recommended as an excellent complement to your campsite in any season.)
- A creek. Yes, it’s there all year round, but summer seriously knows how to put the cherry on top of a good creek. Need I say more?
- Fresh salad greens everywhere, much to the delight of magic (um, I mean feral) ponies, who always adore a healthy, plant-based meal (or an unlawfully obtained granola bar, as the case may be).
- A nondescript bush that might not catch your eye for 11 months out of the year, but that is suddenly alight with beauty that lures you off the trail like a siren.
- Lush growth along paths that soar out to blue skies and endless mountains.
- At the end of the day, summer’s a flirt and she’s always trying to seduce you into coming back.
- And finally, if you’re lucky, summer will bring you home.